Overwhelmed with the idea of planning a wedding?
As a wedding magician I've been to hundreds of weddings, and so when it was time for me to get married I was able to pick what were, in my opinion, the best suppliers and venues to create a stress free wedding day. This blog is a comprehensive guide aimed at those who have decided to arrange their wedding under a strict timeline, just as we did, but who aren't willing to sacrifice quality or atmosphere. For those with a little more time to play with (1 year+), I would suggest you take my weekly assignments and drag them out over a month. Take your time, relax and search around for your options.
The first week is a week of celebration and vision for you and your fiancee. Whatever you do, DO NOT miss the celebration of this happy time; don't let it simply pass you by in a whirlwind of preoccupation, planning and paperwork. You are in love, remember? You love each other. You are going to spend the rest of your lives together. Not just for the duration of an event, but your entire lives.
So use this week to make exciting phone calls. Share your happiness with your nearest and dearest.
I would recommend not putting the announcement of your engagement online until AFTER you tell your close family and friends. Relive the excitement during phone call after phone call before people start contacting you to say "I've seen the post, congratulations."
During this week, I would aim to set the month when you plan to get married. You won't be able to set the exact date in stone until you have checked with your venue, and I certainly wouldn't recommend just choosing the venue because it is the only one available for your day, unless the date is non negotiable.
I have broken down all your decisions over a 6 month plan. This plan is advisory, and so please do feel free to change bits and pieces depending on your priorities.
Your 6 month wedding plan:
Week 1 :
- Set your week / month
- Decide on your budget
- Create a rough guest list
- Decide on wedding party
- Start wedding dress research
- Look at wedding venues
- Browse for colour, themes and inspiration
- Book slots to visit wedding dress shops
- Choose the venue
- Register the marriage
- Start researching bridesmaids dresses
- Tell your wedding party!
- Send out save the dates
- Book photographer / videographer
- Start trying on wedding dresses
- Book the caterer
- Buy the dress!
- Decide who will do your fittings and alterations
- Research flowers and decorations
- Book your entertainment
- Source a hairdresser and make-up artist
- Decide upon a DJ or live music for the reception
- Choose a cake
- Register for a gift list
- Stationary - invites, order of service, guest book etc
- Book the honeymoon
- Find suitable transport for the day
- Buy the rings
- Buy the bridesmaids dresses
- Buy the suits for the groomsmen
- Choose your favours
- Have the bridesmaids try on their dresses
- Stag do plans
- Hen do plans
- Send out the invites
- Create a seating plan
- Choose the song for the first dance
- Make up and hair trials
- Speeches and vows preparation
- Dress fittings for you and your bridesmaids
- Check stationary supplies
- Write speeches and vows
- Decide on the layout for the ceremony - songs etc
- Set the rehearsal date
- Check in with suppliers and send over 'day-of' plans
- Stag and hen dos
- Have quality time together
- Get lots of early nights
Come back next Monday as we look at how to set a budget!